just in time for the weekend and back by popular demand…
need a “go to” steak recipe? this is it.
it the “girlfriend steak dinner” because it’s what ROF served his girlfriends if they made it to date #4. i know this because one saturday while we were visiting in his kitchen (let’s call this date #5), his friend came over and asked if ROF had fixed me “the famous flank steak yet.”
ROF’s face turned a shade of red i hadn’t seen before as he tried to shrug the comment off and grab his friend in a head lock to shut him up.
the previous weekend ROF had indeed fixed me this famous flank steak recipe along with his butter noodles and some nice red wine. evidently this is what lover boy did to pull out all the stops for his lady friends! i’m glad that those lady friends now are my mom, sister and his wife!
well, here it is. transcribed from a handmade and passed down cookbook. you can’t go wrong.
ROF’s GIRLFRIEND FLANK STEAK
2 tsp unseasoned meat tenderizer
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp accent seasoning (see photo below, in case you don’t know what i’m talking about)
honey (to drizzle on steak)
- pierce surface of flank steak at 1 inch intervals with sharp fork.
- combine ingredients except honey
- put steak in pan flat and drizzle with honey on both sides
- put steak in large baggie and pour ingredients over steak and let stand at least 1 hour at room temperature
- grill meat over high heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side (use a timer, flank steak is bad when well done!)
- slice with sharp knife into thin slices carving at an angle against the grain