“if you’re alone, i’ll be your shadow. if you want to cry, i’ll be your shoulder. if you want a hug, i’ll be your pillow. if you need to be happy, i’ll be your smile… but anytime you need a friend, i’ll just be me.” – anon
the above quote pretty much sums up my love and adoration of “the appreciator.” so, when she asked if i wanted to post a recipe on her blog, i instantly said yes! as the best female friend always obliges.
the “appreciator” and i met many light years ago at a dog park in uptown dallas (yes, very romantic..) our dogs instantly clicked, which left us with little choice but to go out for an alcoholic beverage at our favorite pooch patio (for the sake of the dogs, of course!). luckily for all of us, the booze never ran out, the laughter never stopped and the friendship blossomed. i feel blessed to have you in my life.
the below mushroom stuffed brie was recently created on vacation in Seaside, FL. 30A, is the 20-mile scenic shore tucked neatly between destin and panama city beach, florida, or as my son called it, “paradise mommy.”
mushroom stuffed brie a la “30A”
- sancerre sauvignon blanc – in a glass, straight up
- chopped mushrooms — (2 hands full) cos that’s how I roll
- chopped fresh garlic – (1 clove) yes, the real stuff you have to peel
- chopped crabmeat – (1 generous hand full) preferably not from Fiesta
- one egg — (1) beaten not stirred
- defrosted phyllo pastry sheet – (2 sheets) “fee-lo” for all you Southern Folk
- round of brie –– (the bigger the better) – “that’s what she said..”
- set your oven to 350 degrees on bake.
- in a pan, fry with butter the mushrooms, garlic and splosh of wine. sprinkle salt and pepper to season.
- slice the brie in half (like a bread roll) and stuff the cooked fried pan mix from above in the middle of the brie.
- place the crabmeat on top of the fried pan mix. cover this with the brie top – sandwich style. drizzle salt, pepper and EVOO on top of brie.
- swaddle the whole brie with the phyllo pastry sheets, like an itty bitty baby.
- baste the egg over the fillo before putting in the oven :
- place itty bitty baby brie in the oven for 20mins or so.
- remove from oven and eat with a spoon or crackers of your choice.
to quote woody allen (the “appreciator’s” favorite movie icon), “i am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.”