if you have to eat alone, do it with confidence and have fun.
here are 4 things you can do other than stick your face into your mobile phone and text people stupid things:
- sit at the bar. don’t be afraid, ladies. men have this down but they don’t own it! move in and make the space yours. great way to meet new friends and at least exchange words with the bartender. at the bar, you can check out other loners and try to guess their story.
2. write. i actually did this a lot in my single years in my 20’s and 30’s. grab some paper and writing utensil and write about what you see, where you are (like literally…where you are) what you’re feeling and what is going on in your life. these are great to put away in a box and open it up years from now. i have a ton of stuff i wrote as far back as 25 years ago and i can read it and totally remember what i was up to… because i wrote it all down! also, it makes you look important. the guy next to you at the bar is thinking ” she must be an author!”
3. strike up a conversation. if this sounds terrifying to you – all the more reason to do it. everyone is afraid of person-to-person conversation now. everyone texts! what will you say? here are some great openers:
- been on any good vacations lately?
- fred, it’s great to see you! oh! i’m sorry, you’re not fred! (the embarrassment wears off quickly and you’re left chatting it up)
4. be observant. just look around and think of it as an adventure. you can only do this if you’re uber confident because everyone else will rely on their trusty cell phone and google stupid song lyrics or worse, the menu at the restaurant they’re sitting at! <gulp> pull your shoulders back, sit up straight, smile. order a drink and enjoy it! check the room out, chat it up with the wait staff. boy this sounds stupid doesn’t it? i take this all for granted for as much as i (used) to travel. i realize their might be some women out there that don’t have to eat by themselves. and that is fine but if you get the chance DO IT. it may be an adventure.