this isn’t going to be that deep. it’s just an idea + a little advice for you.
this past week, i was driving to work and stuck in rush hour traffic. i don’t really complain because i like the time by myself. i typically go through my to-do list for the day and alternately jam out to really good music. like my spotify disco mix. good music is subjective, you know.
i do this because music lifts my spirits (kind of like this) and takes me out of the mundane go-to-work-time-to-make-the-donuts routine. it was during this disco jam-out that i thought of my friend at work. you know who you are. she used to be quite the disco queen back in the day. and i was thinking of her while listening to this music. then my mind shifted to the fact that her daughter just had her first baby – her grandchild – a girl. joy of all joys! my mind then shifted to my very good friend and sister-in-law, susan. i was talking with her that morning about the blog she did for her kids – which is excellent. i thought that my friend at work would like the same idea.
now you know how my mind works. riveting.
i thought that my friend at work should do a blog to her daughter and granddaughter filled with wisdom, family history and laughs, advice, recipes, memories and pictures. this wasn’t my idea, i got it from susan’s blog. here was the advice i gave my friend at work, that if you want to start a blog for your loved one.
< IDEA: a memory blog>
here is the way to start:
- think of a name for your blog. needs to be something personal between your daughter + you. that makes it fun.
- think of 5 or as many as you want topics to frame your posts. as mentioned, some ideas are: Recipes + restaurants, sweet memories, to my granddaughter, advice etc…
- if you want, snoop around go to http://en.wordpress.com/ to just explore.
- carry a notebook and jot down ideas for blog articles as they come to you. i have an app for my iphone called GNEO for this list. It’s easy.
lastly, write your first post. just do it in email or a word document and then copy/paste it into your first blog post.
Here is some advice.
- write exactly how you would talk. don’t worry how well you write, worry about making sure it just sounds like YOU.
- write like you’re talking to your daughter. Don’t write like strangers are reading this – you don’t have to over-explain. You’re just having a conversation.
- start with why you’re writing this blog and what you want to accomplish with it.
- don’t need to make it too long. try to always include pictures.
that was the idea.
here is the advice:
if you have kids under the age of 16 – get onstar. get a gm vehicle with onstar or get just the rearview mirror. if your kids are looking for a great inexpensive car with a ton of value – recommend something like this. i know you have navigation on your phone – who doesn’t. but what you don’t have is someone that knows if you get in a car accident, witness a car accident or have an emergency of any kind. if you’re in an accident, onstar immediately calls for help – you don’t have to do anything. they will also talk with your kids if you are in trouble – many more. it is a no brainer to have and, in my mind, not smart to not have. watch this: